Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Annie's Salsa Recipe- The Best Yet

Hi I made 9 pints of salsa on Sunday with my tomatoes and peppers and onions from the garden. I found Annie's Salsa recipe on Harvest Forum (iVillage GardenWeb). It is the best I have ever tried. I thought I'd share. It is a little time consuming but so worth it. I used my food processor to chop peppers and onions to make it go a little quicker.

ANNIE’S SALSA

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 ½ cups chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped green pepper
3 – 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (you can leave it out it doesn't really add flavor)
1/3 cup sugar

1 cup vinegar 5% acidty

16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process in a Boil Water Bath 15 min leaving 1" head space

Makes 6 pints

If you choose to vary this recipe it may not be considered "safe"

Enjoy!!!


No comments: