Friday, October 2, 2009

Spooky---My favorite time of YEAR

I love Halloween, can you tell by my new background!!! I finally put up my Halloween decorations on Wednesday afternoon. I'll have to take a picture of it to show you. I also grew a white pumpkin this year. It was one of two that made it. I started my pumpkins from seed this year in early spring in the house. I think I planted them to early because some got frost bitten and I was busy covering my other plants and didn't worry too much about the pumpkins. But 2 survived. I will post a picture of them later. My white pumpkin is sure pretty though. Martha would be proud. (aka Martha Stewart)

My newest recipe that I must share is my Granola Bars I made from my Good Housekeeping Magazine. I made them yesterday and they were wonderful.

Here is the recipe
Granola Bars
2 C Old fashioned oats ( I used the organic extra thick)
3/4 C toasted wheat germ
3/4C chopped walnuts
3/4 C dried cranberries
2 Tbsp. packed Light brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C honey
1/2 C canola oil
2 lg . egg whites

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 9x13 metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line pan with foil, with ends extending 2 inches over short sides of pan; spray foil.
2. In glass pie plate, spread oats; microwave on High, in 1 minute increments, 4-5 minutes or until fragrant and golden, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature.
3. In large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, walnuts, cranberries, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in honey, oil and egg whites until well mixed. Transfer to prepared pan. Using wet hand press into even layer.
4. Bake 32-35 minutes or until dark golden. Cool in pan on wire rack.
5. when cool, use foil to transfer to cutting board. Cut lengthwise int 6 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into thirds. (You should have roughly 4-1/4"x 1-1/2 bars.) store in tightly sealed container at room temperature up to 1 wee or in freezer up to 1 month.

each bar: about 190 calories, 4 g protein, 23 g carbs,10g total fat, 2 g fiber, 70mg sodium.

The DIY (do it yourself) tip: a 12 bar box of similar ingredients is $30. The tray of the homemade of 18 costs only around $6.

Let me know if anyone tries them.
Enjoy.

1 comment:

M_J_ARNDT said...

I definitely plan to try these! Yummy!