Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup! SBS (Step By Step)

Here is my way of doing Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup. I peel my tomatoes first makes it easier in my opinion. I cut an X in the bottom of a Tomato.
I blanch them for a min or so until the skins are starting to come off.
Then I dump them in the sink of cold water to cool immediately. Then the skins peel right off. Core and half the tomatoes as much as will fit into your pans. Roast Garlic, Tomatoes, 2 Carrots peeled and chopped at about 1". 1 large onion peeled and quartered 1 garlic head. Brush all with olive oil. I also drizzle olive oil over garlic head. Roast in oven at 400 degrees for about an hour, until slightly black. This picture below I was doing a double batch. I had 4 9x13 pans going. The one below had all my onions and garlic and carrots on it. I snuck a few tomatoes on so you could see. The rest of my pans had all tomatoes
Put all in a large pot.
Then add your 2 cans of chicken broth to your pot. Boil for 10 min. I then used my immersion blender to make it super creamy.

Process in pint jars with 10 lbs pressure for 60 min using a pressure canner only.
To serve add cream or milk when heating to your liking. Do not add cream or milk before canning it will spoil. Let me know if anyone tries it and what they think. Enjoy!

No comments: